An unused storage Rack with almost 150 TB ?

• Dear people here, I'm in Bitcoin mining and now Ethereum mining. I began to mine at summer of 2014.

Now I have an unused, I think 150TB NetApp Storage cabinet.
    Is there any way I can use that storage for Burst mining ?
    It's not a PC actually, it a storage, so is it going to work. I nerver mined Brust before but I'm a system admin so I think I can but ? any idea ?

Thanks

• @baykanbelirdi

You can use any storage for burst mining. You just need to plot your file. I'm no into NetApp thingy, are you able to run terminal script on the OS? If you are, you will be good.
    Are you able to post any specs on the system like OS, RAM etc. Here are a short overview.

1. Plotting
      To make read times good you need to fill as much space with as few plots. This can also be done in multiple, with a impact on read speed. I would recommend Janror's plotter. This plotter can continue on a plot, even if you close the computer while plotting.
      Alternative: This will take about a week to plot... YES! If you want more speed you can look at the GPU plotter. Depending on the GPU you would NEED to optimize the plots afterwards. My GPU can only make plots with a stagger size of 512. This is too low and reading would take ages.
    2. Mining
      With GPU: JMiner. This is recommend, but require a GPU and openCL.
      With CPU: Uray's. A bit slower, would not make a huge impact if you have plotted with high stagger size.
      You have a high about of disk space, so mining solo is no problem. You could join a pool, but I don't think it's worth it.
    3. Optimizing (optimal)
      If you have plotted everything with good sized plots, you should not need this. If you have made a lot of small plots, like 1-2 TB you might not be able to post all your deadlines within 2 minutes. Optimizing also lowers the disk usage a lot.
      You can read more here

Explaintion.
    Stagger size: about of ram used while plotting. I can't remember why it has a big impact on reading times and disk usage.
    Deadlines: Time it take before you find the next block.
    Nonce: The size, it's like MH/s. 1 nonce is 256 KB.

I'm the owner of both Vector and Margin. Send a pm if you need any help!

• Thank you very much for the quick reply. I just figured out that the storage admin password is not known. Resetting the password and studying my lessons will take a while. Again thank you very much. See you next week.

• If you want to mine burst, i suggest using single hdds, do not setup a huge raid or something, miners will work best, with direct access to every single physical drive ... if you need any help feel free to ask ... i suggest using the gpu plotter: https://github.com/bhamon/gpuPlotGenerator/releases and jminer: https://github.com/de-luxe/burstcoin-jminer/releases

Have fun ...

• administrators

The NetApp Storage Appliance is a SAN, optimized for running as a huge raid. You could potentially setup a LUN per disk and then treat them as individual disks (I'm not familiar enough with the NetApp to say if this is definitely doable - some of the appliances virtualize the storage in such a way that multiple small LUN's might be counter-productive), but I'd use it to present one of more large LUNs.

Depending on the appliance it's probably either Fiber Channel or iSCSI, so you'll need a PC (preferably) running a Server OS to do the actual Plotting/Mining. It's not the most straight forward setup, but entirely doable - my primary miner is a Windows Server VM on an HP Workstation running VMware linked to a Solaris ZFS server over Infiniband.

If you need any help getting this setup, feel free to ask.

H.